Expediter Truck Service With a Small Truck

Expediter services transport time-sensitive freight for manufacturers around the country. Often a company needs to send products quickly. Expediter vehicles can deliver to areas that large vehicles are unable to because of regulations or limited space. You can start your own expediter company if you have a van or small truck, but you must make sure you have the necessary licenses before you begin.
Talk to other expediters about their work. A successful expediting company requires dedication and you could be away from home for days delivering freight. Talking with others will help you decide if expediting is right for you. You can find expediters to talk to by going to local truck stops and online forums.
Apply for a free Employer Identification Number . Your EIN is your business Social Security number for taxes. File for your EIN using your business name.
Incorporate your company. According to the Internal Revenue Service, “LLCs are popular because, similar to a corporation, owners have limited personal liability for the debts and actions of the LLC.” An LLC will suffice in most states for personal asset protection although as the owner, you will have to guarantee any debts that the company incurs. Apply for incorporation through the secretary of state in your home state. The cost varies from state to state.
Apply for a U.S. Department of Transportation number. Each motor carrier must have a USDOT number. File for your USDOT number under your business name. There is no cost to receive a number.
Contracting with an established company (lease-on) with your small truck or van to gain first-hand knowledge about everything from paperwork to potential earnings. As a lease owner, you will have the opportunity to know the load’s gross revenue. Do not contract with a company with the intention of stealing their client base. Most company’s have a “no-compete” clause in their contracts, which prevent you from legally obtaining freight from one of their customers for at least two years. Look in your local newspaper’s classified ad section to find local company to lease with, or apply with a company online.
Apply for operating authority . The U.S. government requires all interstate carriers to obtain Motor Carrier (MC) number from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. After you receive your MC number, you will need insurance as well as hiring process agents. A process agent represent your company and cab accept legal documents for you in every state. It costs $300 to apply for your MC number. The cost of insurance will depend on the amount of coverage, your driving history and the amount of time you’ve been in the business. You can locate a service that provides process agents through the FMCSA. A process agent service will cost $50 or less.
Apply for any local permits your city or county requires.